What is ISO?
ISO, also known as “ISO/IEC 27001” is responsible for information technology, security techniques, information security management systems, and requirements. It is the leading international standard focused on information security.
ISO 27001 was developed to help organizations, of any size or any industry, to protect their information in a systematic and cost-effective way, through the adoption of an information security management system.
The basic goal of ISO 27001 is to protect three aspects of information:
- Confidentiality: only authorized persons have the right to access information.
- Integrity: Only the authorized persons can change the information
- Availability: the information must be accessible to authorized persons whenever it is needed.
Why it’s a good idea
ISO 27001 can help organizations reduce risk, optimize operations within an organization due to clearly defined responsibilities and business processes, and build a culture of information security. The framework helps organizations in reducing security incidents and meeting additional compliance requirements. It also helps you gain an edge against the competition by instilling confidence in your organization’s ability to protect information.
There are four essential business benefits that a company can achieve with the implementation of this information security standard:
- Achieve competitive advantage – if your company gets certified and your competitors do not, you may have an advantage over them in the eyes of those customers who are sensitive about keeping their information safe.
- Better organization – typically, fast-growing companies don’t have the time to stop and define their processes and procedures – as a consequence, very often the employees do not know what needs to be done, when, and by whom. Implementation of ISO 27001 helps resolve such situations, because it encourages companies to write down their main processes (even those that are not security-related), enabling them to reduce lost time by their employees.
- Comply with legal requirements – there is an ever-increasing number of laws, regulations, and contractual requirements related to information security, and the good news is that most of them can be resolved by implementing ISO 27001 – this standard gives you the perfect methodology to comply with them all.
- Lower costs – the main philosophy of ISO 27001 is to prevent security incidents from happening – and every incident, large or small, costs money. Therefore, by preventing them, your company will save quite a lot of money. And the best thing of all – investment in ISO 27001 is far smaller than the cost savings you’ll achieve.
How do we do it?
At Rhymetec we implement an Information Security Management System which will help to become ISO 27001 Compliant.
An Information Security Management System is a set of rules that a company needs to establish in order to:
- Identify stakeholders and their expectations of the company in terms of information security
- Identify which risks exist for the information
- Define controls (safeguards) and other mitigation methods to meet the identified expectations and handle risks
- Set clear objectives on what needs to be achieved with information security
- Implement all the controls and other risk treatment methods
- Continuously measure if the implemented controls perform as expected
- Make continuous improvement to make the whole ISMS work better
This set of rules can be written down in the form of policies, procedures, and other types of documents, or it can be in the form of established processes and technologies that are not documented. ISO 27001 defines which documents are required, i.e., which must exist at a minimum.
Deliverables from Rhymetec
Our team is dedicated to delivering premium-tier service to ensure ISO compliance, from comprehensive data management plans, to fully itemized reports that provide information regarding methodology, findings, potential mitigations, and our recommendations.
Rhymetec specializes in enabling meaningful, real world solutions to the most pressing challenges of the modern enterprise security environment. Assessment and reporting is contextualized to your business sector, and custom-tailored to your specific environment.
Our process is engineered to provide all the data and insights needed for you to make informed decisions and take definitive action.